Classical Studies/Latin Year 9
Classical Studies/Latin Year 9 (Half Year) (9CLS)
Classical Studies give students an understanding and appreciation of the classical world, particularly Roman, and to increase student awareness of their own culture and that of others.
The course is based on Level 4 of the Social Sciences area of the New Zealand Curriculum and Levels 1 and 2 of the Learning Languages Curriculum area. The course consists of the following five modules:
- Introduction – what Classical Studies is all about.
- Identity – how it is developed at a personal, societal and national level and includes family and state customs.
- Class structure – includes types of housing, food, and traditions of hospitality and daily life according to status in society.
- Institutions – the purpose and architecture of civic buildings and Roman engineering.
- Beliefs – founding stories, gods and goddesses and ideas of courage and virtue.