Science Year 9
Science Year 9 (Full Year) (9SCI)
Year 9 Science is a compulsory core subject where skills and knowledge are learned through practical investigation. Each content area is taught so that the theoretical aspects of the NZ curriculum are given in “real life” examples.
Units studied include:
- An introduction to Science.
- Science Fair.
A variety of assessments will be used.
Reports, practical work, and formal testing will help students measure their learning.
All students are expected to develop science fair exhibits.
Investigating in Science
• To plan a scientific investigation.
• To design “fair tests”.
• To collect and process accurate data.
Communicating in Science
• To be able to write concise and accurate reports, and discuss their implications.
• To record observations and measurements.
• To be able to locate information.
• To evaluate information sources.
Understanding in Science
• To be able to identify trends and relationships in recorded observations and measurements.
• To be able to use organised data and scientific ideas.
• To be able to understand scientific concepts.
Participating & Contributing in Science
• To be able to present the results of investigations.
• To be able to discuss a viewpoint on a scientific issue.
• To be able to work as part of a team.
• To use scientific ideas in the real world.